How can I sue my contractor regarding the remodel of my house if he didn’t finish the project, left the trash in my house and walked away with over $30,000 of my money?

Asked on December 7, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You sue him or her in county court for breach of contract (not doing what they agreed to do), for negligence (for carelessly or unprofessionally causing you costs and loses, like the cost to remove all the trash) and possibly also for fraud (lying about what they could or would do) and/or conversion (a form of theft; taking money entrusted to them, like a deposit on the work). You can try to recover the money they took without doing work, your extra cost to finish the work, and any other costs (like trash removal) you incurred. d on how much is likely at stake, you are probably best off hiring an attorney to represent you, rather than representing yourself ("pro se").

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.