How can I stop my union from deducting dues when I resign membership?

I work for the US Postal Service and want to quit membership in the APWU (American Postal Workers Union) I want to stop the APWU from deducting dues from my pay. APWU states you can only resign from the APWU within a 10-day window which opens TWENTY days before the anniversary of your membership date (your join-date) and closes 10 days before that date. Is there any legal precedent I can use to get around their resignation rule?

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.