How can I stop my ex-husband’s girlfriend from signing my children’s paperwork for school that asks for a parent’s initials or signature?

I wan to get her off the parent information.

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Family Law, Massachusetts


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your husband has joint custody with you, you really need to inform the school first that she is not a parent and you will disallow her to be on the parent information.  You need to also inform your husband in writing and then file a motion to amend the court order to prohibit her from so doing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.