How can I stop a collection agency from harassing me regarding a debt/account that isn’t mine?

For over a year a collection agency has been continually calling me about someone else’s debt. I’ve repeatedly told them that they have the wrong contact information and have even given them a phone number for their target (a simple Google search, the number is similar to mine). The representative apologizes, states that the records will be updated and then starts calling again in a week or so. I want to stop this agency from calling me for good, as well as find out if there are any nuisance damages I can collect for their harassment.

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

To possibly stop the perceived harassing calls from the debt collection company that you are experiencing, you need to write it a cease and desist letter as to all further contact as to you in that further contact will be deemed in violation of your state's fair debt collection practices act.

Keep a copy of the letter for future reference and need. I the contact persists, you need to consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to discuss what your legal recourse is, which could be an action under your state's fair debt collection practices act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.