How can I sell my house if I cannot find ex-wife for signature?

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot locate your former wife to gave her sign documents so that you can sell your property, you might want to look at your dissolution decree and see if the court order placed the home that you want to sell entirely in your name.

If it did, you need to get a certified copy of the order and record it on your home. By doing this, you will have full legal title to the home.

If that is not the situation, you will need to first do an online search for your former wife. There are services that you pay so much for a couple of days to try an locate a person. If you are unsuccessful in this endeavor, you should retain a compnay that does people locates to assist you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.