How can I seal and expunge my federal criminal record?

Asked on October 16, 2014 under Criminal Law


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Here is the issue: there is not one set of laws on the Federal Books, so to speak, that covers expungement on the Federal level.  And the expungement laws on the books only cover certain issues like small amounts of illegal drugs. The country is divided geographically for the Federal system and what one Federal Judge may allow another may not.  So your best bet is to seek help from a criminal lawyer that practices in Federal Court where you live.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.