If I’m separated and am planning on filing for divorce, can I make my husband leave the house?

Asked on July 21, 2015 under Family Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless your divorce if finalized or there is another court order in place that addresses just which one of will retain the exclusive right of occupancy to the house, you cannot force your husband to leave. Until there is such an order, it is still considered to be the "marital residence" regardless of whose name the deed/lease is in. Accordingly, he has a right to enter and stay in or on the premises as he chosses.

The exception to the above would be in the case of actual or threatened domestic violence. In that event, your can obtain an order of protection and have him removed from the house.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.