How can I request financial documents in a divorce from the other party to determine whether that party has lied about expenses?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Family Law, Texas


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In civil matters (such as a divorce) there is something called the "discovery process" whereby one party can request the other party to disclose certain relevant documents.  In a divorce proceeding, where financial resources are constested, financial documents would most likely be subject to a discovery request.  In most states, the rules of practice (or the rules of court) set forth the procedures to follow with respect to making formal discovery requests.  In Connecticut, where I practice, a party has thirty days to respond to a discovery request unless that party files a motion for extension of time within the initial thirty days.  If a party fails to comply with a discovery request, they can be ordered to compel and/or subject to sanctions.  Therefore, you should have the ability to obtain these documents.  Nevertheless, the rules of practice can be tricky, and your failure to strictly adhere to them can subject you and your case to potential negative consequences; therefore, I suggest you consult with and/or retain an experienced divorce attorney rather than attempting to do this on your own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.