How can I replace my birth certificate?

I’m a naturalized U.S. citizen but I lost my birth certificate. Since I am born
abroad, how can I get another copy of my birth certificate?

Asked on May 27, 2016 under Immigration Law, Oklahoma


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

To get a birth certificate you would contact the pertinent agency in the country of your birth to try to obtain a new birth certificate.  This would have nothing to do with whether or not you are a naturalized US citizen or not a US citizen since the birth would have been in another country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.