How can I renew a judgement that has expired?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Technically under the laws of all states in this country the court clerk should not allow an expired judgment to be renewed. However, it is better to try to do such than not. So, you simply prepare the needed application to renew the judgment, submit it and all other required paper work to the court clerk after serving it on the judgment debtor and see what transpires.

The judgment debtor could object, the paper work could be returned unfiled or denied by the court or the application to renew could be approved. I suggest that you consult with a consumer law attorney to assist you in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.