How can I remove a tenant from a building who doesn’t have a lease?

My parents rented out a room to a friend. She has a month-to-month lease because she needed it to receive services. She decided she didn’t like the room because her cat wasn’t allowed in the house so I let it stay in my camper. She decided she wanted to stay in my camper which I didn’t object to even though it needs considerable repairs to be suitable for human habitation. There is no heat out and she needed to be out of the camper in 2 months. Now she is refusing to pay her rent and refusing to get out. I want my camper back and person property that is in it. I never leased it to her.

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you gave her permission to be in your camper as a guest. If your guest will not leave your camper voluntarily, you need to serve her with a thirty (30) day notice to vacate the camper. If she refuses to leave, you serve her with a filed summons and complaint for unlawful detainer and trespass in the court system.

If she fails to answer the summons and complaint within the required time period, take her default and get a court order for her eviction. If she answers the summons and complaint, you will then have a trial date and the judge hearing the case will make the decision as to whether she stays in or leaves your camper.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.