How can I receive assistance in getting legal representation regarding my divorce?

My husband and I haven’t lived together for over 10 years. He has been living with another woman. I have no transportation, and no money and I’m unable to get a job. He pays the mortgage and all the bills. I would like to file for a divorce. I don’t know where to start.

Asked on March 17, 2017 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You may want legal counsel. So check to see if you qualify for Legal Aid or see if there is a law school close to where you live that runs a free/low cost clinic. Also, your county/state bar association might have a list of attorenys who take divorce cases for reduced fees, depending on your income and circumstances. Further, there’s no legal requirement that you must use a lawyer to file for divorce. You can get forms online and do it yourself; most states have set up self-service centers that are designed to allow people to file for their own divorces. Here is a link to a site that may be of help:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.