How can I evict my daughter from my apartment?

I am renting an apartment and my 17 year old and 15 year old daughters live with me. Both are disrespectful; curse me out daily, refuse to do what I direct them to do, come in and out of the apartment all times of the night. At this point, what do I need to do to evict the 17 year old on her 18th birthday which is 08/22/10?

Asked on July 28, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Florida


S.J.H., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your daughter once she becomes 18 and an adult becomes a licensee (a guest) in your home. In order to evict you must give her notice that her presence is no longer wanted and that her right to remin in the premises is terminated. Each state has a different system for handling eviction matters and has a certain notice requirement for guest. Some are 10 days others are 30 days. Once you give her the notice and the time has elapsed and she remains, you can then file an evcicition proceeding. Evictions proceedings are usually very detail oriented and proper procedure must be followed. I suggest  that you either contact a landlord/tenant  attorney ort a court clerk for specifics on the notice requirement and to obtain the proper forms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.