How can I protect myself if a ring I sold for a friend at the pawn shop was stolen?

My friend asked me to sell a ring at a pawn shop for him because he apparently lost his driver’s license. He said that it belonged to his aunt who passed away and that now was in his possession. I didn’t think much of it at the time and decided to help him out. In retrospect I think the ring might have been stolen. Is there any way I an protect myself from legal action if the ring was indeed stolen?

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that the ring that you sold for a friend may have been stolen and wish to protect yourself, you should do the following:

1. send an e mail to your friend memorializing that you sold the ring that was his as a favor and hope to get a written response back from him. If you do, keep a copy of the response in a safe place.

2. get your friend to admit in front of several of your friends that you only sold the ring that you did at the pawnshop for him as a favor.

3. have him sign the pawn shop receipt and you keep a copy of it.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.