how can i prepare for a 459 charge, and if it was my friends house and he dropped teh case and the da picked it up, is there hope?

i was charge with a 459 and my friend dropped it because my intent wasnt 2 steal anything even tho i have priors for 459 i just wanted 2 go up on the roof and look into the windows, my friend later dropped the case and the da picked it up, i didnt take anything..please help what should i do? what can i do to better my case and ironicly after cleaning up my life this **** happens please help thank you

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well, it doesn't matter if your friend doesn't wish to press charges.  Your friend is not the prosecutor.   So, you need a lawyer to talk with the D.A. and see if the D.A. is willing to drop charges or lessen them. If you cleaned up your life, why in the world would you even do this, especially when you have priors for this???? To the D.A., this makes no sense, so hence why he or she is prosecuting.


Try your public defender or call a criminal defense attorney.  Try and check his or her disciplinary record at under attorney search.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.