How can I pass my house to my children if I still own on it. I have about 6 months to live

I want to give my house to my youngest son who does not work and has no available options to support himself. However I still own 145,000 on my mortgage.

Asked on December 12, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't give it to anyone without the mortgage being paid off. When you sell the home or otherwise transfer it (e.g. try to quitclaim it), or if you have it willed when you pass away, the mortgage comes due: the home cannot be transfered to anyone without paying the mortgage. If the mortgage is not paid on transfer, the lender will be able to foreclose on it. You cannot make the lender's right to be paid $145k or their right to take the home if not paid go away.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.