How can I obtain a temporary guardianship of my cousin’s daughter?

She is facing jail time. She wants me to keep her daughter while she is away without actually giving me custody. Is that possible? What am I able to do so I can enroll her in school and seek medical attention if needed?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What you may need to do is to seek help from an attorney to prepare a temporary guardianship agreement. That does not give you legal custody forever but will give you the right to make decisions as to school and medical care - which is very important - and related issues while she is incarcerated.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.