How can I obtain a share of property that was never filed with the county recorder’s office?

I own a piece of property with my brother and grandmother. We have owned it for 8 years. Since then my brother has told me that my grandmother gave him her 1/3 however the deed in the recorder’s office still has all 3 of our names on it. Is this still considered the legal ownership or was there something he could have signed that didn’t need filed and still be the 2/3’s legal owner?

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written if there is an unrecorded deed for the property that you are writing about, it is a "wild deed" and has no legal effect for the transfer of any ownership in the parcel you have written about until it is recorded in the county recorder's office where the parcel is located.

To answer your question, the ownership interests in the parcel you are writing about are as stated in the last recorded document as to it in the county recorder's office where the property is located.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.