How can I move on from an abusive marriage with no means of help?

I been married for 8 years and My
husband has been mentally and
emotionally destroying me the
entire time. I dont work nor do i
have a car so him knowing i need
him keeps him treating me like im
worthless. I need help. We have 2
children 7 and 3 and he said he is
filing for divorce and taking my
children. What can i do?

Asked on May 10, 2016 under Family Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

He can't just "take" the children: the family court will, in deciding the divorce, all decide who gets custody based on *the children's* best interest. The court will also divide assets and may award you spousal support (almony) if he was the main or only breadwinner; whomever gets custody of the children will also get child support.
Don't sign any divorce papers he gives you--don't just agree to what he wants. Make the case play out in court, where you can protect your interests and your childrens. Also, there are groups that provide both emotional support and legal advice (sometimes actual legal assistance) to women in your situation. Good places to look for these resources are to contact Legal Services; the clerk at the family court (who may have a list of resources); abused women support groups; and also local law schools, which may have programs where law students provide help to people like you under their professors supervision. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.