How can I make my ex-husband agree to accept an offer on our home for a higher price than what he was asking 3 weeks ago?

We have had our house listed for $139,500 for 3 years and he refused an offer of $120,000 2 years ago. Then 1 month ago he suddenly wanted me to take an offer of $60,000. I said no and now we have an offer of $90,000 and he is refusing to take it! I need the money, I lost my job soon after our divorce. What I can do. The lawyer who represented me in the divorce will not return my calls. I paid him so I don’t know why he won’t call me. The people wanting to buy my home said they need both our signatures before they spend money for an appraisal. I understand that. What can I do about him.

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Either seek out another attorney or make an application to the court yourself to compel him to accept the offer.  Speak about an action for partition where a court will order the house sold and if there is a buyer in the wings then better for you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.