How can I make an ex pay for a loan we got when we were together?

When my partner and I were together she and I got a loan under my name and now that we broke up she doesn’t want to help me pay it even though she told me she would.

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your former girlfriend obtained a loan under your name when you were together and now that you two are no longer together she refuses to pay it down, you should do the following;

1. call her about the situation setting forth a proposal as to how to resolve the siutation. Follow up with a written letter to her memorializing the conversation. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

2. if she refuses to try and resolve the situation, I recommend that you then consult an attorney experienced in family law to assist you and to advise you as to whether or not to file an action for breach of an express or implied contract is the route to go.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.