How can I legally get out of a contract for a unit that I’m renting because our electric bill has tripled since installing it?

We are a car dealership and had signed a contract to rent a trailer unit. The contract was signed 6 months ago and was for 2 years. However, our electric bill has tripled since installing the unit and the company has been extremely unhelpful with providing us any solution to our issue. How can we end

the contract under the terms that the company is unwilling to assist us?

Asked on April 20, 2017 under Business Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can *only* get out of a contract if you can show:
1) They committed fraud to get you to sign the contract: that is, they lied about something material, or important, upon which lie you reasonably relied (you had no reasonable basis to know it was a lie)  in signing the contract. If this was the case, it would have been fraud, and fraud allows you to get out of a contract.
2) They are violating or breaching some material, or important, obligation of theirs under the contract (it *must* be a violation of some term or condition in the contract): a material breach allows you to treat the contract as terminated by the breach.
Other than the above, you will be held to the contract, even if it is now having negative financial effects on you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.