How can I legally get emancipated and what is the cheapest and fastest way?

I’m 17 and my family treats me terribly;I can’t handle it anymore. I’m done with the emotional abuse that I go through everyday. I have been treated badly. I can’t handle the physical abuse either but I don’t want my family to get into any legal trouble. I need to know how I can be free from their care quickly.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are 17, you are 12 months or less from being 18 and a legal adult. If you are being abused and it is absolutely a situation you need to be out of (abuse is never okay), then there probably is not a way to do it without your family being at least investigated. I understand your concern but your primary importance should be your health and safety. Talk to the local shelters or abuse organizations that help people heal. You can't be emancipated without court approval and you need to show you can be financially responsible and support yourself. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.