How can I keep my home after the divorce?

My wife want’s a divorce. I don’t want it. We are 34 years old and have a 10 and 12 year old. I don’t have anywhere to live. I’ve made every house payment for ten years. I can’t prove that but it’s true. We have it in both ours names. She and I also filed bankruptcy last year to keep from losing everything that we have. She has been caught embezzling money twice lost her job because of it. They did not press the charges. She could be in prison. Anyway, I want my home because my credit is shot.

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Family Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  I would suggest that you go and speak with an attorney who can look at the whole picture here.  Try calling your loca bar association and seeing if they have a free ("pro bono") program to help.  You would have to negotiate the deal with your wife and buy her out of the house. If there are other assets to bargain with then it gives you leverage.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.