How can I investigate an accident?

I was in an auto accident and only got a valid phone number and an expired policy number. I panicked, and did not call the police or get an ID or plates. The accident is their fault. Now the other driver is denying the accident. The expired policy came up with her information, and she answered the phone. The insurance company says privacy laws prohibit giving me any information, and that they have no way to force her to Do anything, the police say my insurance company must investigate this. I know the phone number is correct, how can I get more information about the person?

Asked on February 24, 2012 under Accident Law, California


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.