How can I inform credit card company that my mother’s claim of unauthorized charges having been made were in fact authorized but forgotten about?

When I called the credit card issuer to tell them what I had found out from merchants calling me regarding a dispute, they refused to speak to me about another persons account.I then asked to speak to a manager or speak to the department that investigates fraud or loss prevention but to no avail. I have pictures of some products being used by her but she forgot since she has Alzheimer’s. She truly believes the charges were me taking advantage of her diminished capaciity. I have also been providing fiducary service to her but have been releived of those duties also as a result.

Asked on December 11, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the serious claims against you by your mother that you used her credit card without authorization from her, I suggest that the best way to deal with the situation is for you to retain an attorney to represent you as opposed to you having to deal with the situation yourself.

The problem with representing yourself in a matter that you have no experience in can have a result that you do not want that could have been different had legal counsel been retained first to assist.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.