How can I have a medical collection removed from my credit report?

I’ve been going round and round with the medical provider, they never answer my calls. And I had already sent them $20, yet the collections office is telling me that money was not applied to my bill and they are charging me interest daily.

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you can dispute any item listed on your credit report.  Most major credit reporting agencies have forms that you can use to file a dispute.  In your dispute, you need to include information and verification that you have paid the debt and it should be reported as such.  They will then send information to the creditor (the medical provider) who is required to return verification of the debt to them. If they cannot or do not verify the account, then the collection agency is required to delete the information.   If they do verify the account, then it would at least give you the contact information to the person who is reviewing your account.  If the collection agency continues to cause you problems, consider contacting a consumer law attorney.  The basis of a suit would be that you are being harrassed by a collector when a debt has already been paid. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.