How can I go about suing a former tenant for nonpayment of rent $12,000 and for stealing my washer, dryer, and lawn mower?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way for you to go about bringing a civil action against a former tenant is to consult a landlord tenant attorney about your situation. Bring a copy of your lease with this tenant and all documents supporting your claim for unpaid rent and the theft of the personal items.

You might also want to make a claim with any insurance carrier for the rental as to the theft of the washer, dryer and lawn mower.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.