How can I get supervised visitation for my sons’ father who has had very little to do with him?

Paternity hasn’t been established yet and his name isn’t on the birth certificate. The father has 3 other children all by different women with different living situations. He has seen my son a total of maybe 10 hours all together. He said he wants every other weekend now that he has to pay! I’m not comfortable with this at all, what can I do?

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Family Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about the visitation situation you have written about concerning your son's father. The best way to allow vistation for the father is to have a written stipulation drafted up by a competent family law attorney and have a petition filed with the court concerning such where a court order is then issued. If you do not want vistitation then you should also consult with a family law attorney on the subject.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.