How can I get my personel property after being illegally evicted from girlfriend’s home?

What rights do I have after being illegally evicted from girlfriends home in a private gated community? While I was out, she had her brother tell me I was moving out that day or face domestic violence charges, which was completely fabricated in order to get me. So I left with only the cloths on my back and knowing I had lived there for over a year I thought that I had rights. I was even issued my own resident ID card which still works to open unguarded gates. When I arrived a couple days later at the main gate I was told I could not enter as I was removed from the guest list. I said I was a resident, not a guest and showed my ID with that address on it but was told that if I enter the grounds I would be trespassing. All I want is to get my property and that would require several hours at the home. What recourse do I have?

Asked on December 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have been evicted from your girlfriend's home where you have possessions remaining in it, the best way to get them back are as follows:

1. have a mutual third party intervene for you with your former girlfriend to obtain a date and time to load up your possessions under the supervision of others.

2. if the first suggestion does not work, then you most likely will need to consult with a landlord tenant attorney to represent you and make contact with your former girlfriend on your behalf to try and get your items returned voluntarily. If the request for the voluntary return of your items is not granted, then you may need to file a legal action to obtain them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.