How can I get my name removed from a land loan as the co-signer if I am not on the deed and the other party is talking about letting the property go?

I contacted the bank and their response was to have the other party refinance or pay the loan off. The other party will not pay to have a refinace and is thinking about letting the property go.

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are not in the best position here: liability with no ownership interest.  And I think that it would be best to consult with an attorney in your area.  If the other party walks away then you are going to be held liable in a foreclosure and possibly a deficiency judgement.  You need to either have the other party do a short sale or a deed in lieu of foreclosure with you and have the lender waive the deificiency.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.