How can I get my name off of a home loan?

My girlfriend and I bought a mobile home before we were married, we split up before getting married. She makes the payments but I can’t get another loan with my name on this loan. I do not live in the home.

Asked on August 31, 2011 Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are presently on the loan for the mobile home that your former girlfriend is current with the payments on secured by it, the only ways to get your name off the loan are as follows:

1. see if the lender will take your name off of the loan by way of a written document. This is unlikely in that most lenders do not voluntary take obligor's names off the loan before the loan is paid off;

2. have your former girlfriend refinance the existing loan with a new loan. In a refinance, the old loan is retired and your name will no longer be on it as an obligor;

3. sell the mobile home to a third person who gets a new loan to buy the item where the loan you are obligated upon is paid up.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.