How can I get my name off of the mortgage?

My ex-wife will not refinance the house for seven years now. The deed is in her name and both of are names are on the mortgage. For those seven years she has been always over thirty days late and it is effecting my credit making it hard for me to get a house. Is there anything I can do? I really need help.

Asked on June 1, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is unlikely that the lender will voluntarily remove you from the mortgage since when it approved the loan, it assessed the credit of both your ex and you. Payments, rates, etc. were all determined based on both of you as borrowers.  That having been said, there are potentially options in such a situation. The first would be to get your ex-wife to refinance in her name alone; however considering her lengthy history of late payments this isn't feasible. There is also a "novation" which is a mechanism for a creditor to release a debtor from a debt; for a certain sum it will release a borrower from a mortgage obligation. However, it too is not realistic for the same reason as given above. Additionally, you could file for bankruptcy, which will clearly affect your credit further. Finally, you could try and talk your spouse into selling the house but I'm certain you have already done this. Other than that, I'm afraid you will have to continue on the morgtage for the forseeable future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.