How can I get my mother’s property in my name if she has been dead 52 years and I have kept the property taxes paid since then every year?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Oh boy.  Are you the only child?  Your Mother's estate was never probated and that is how the deed would be changed: from the Personal Representative to the beneficiary or beneficiaries.  You are going to have to go to the probate court in the county in which your Mother resided at the time of her death and file a petition.  You are probably going to need an affidavit of lateness as well.  I would speak with a lawyer. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.