How can I get my ex wife/girlfriend to leave?

I recently moved from Colorado to Nevada and am living on my mothers property in
my camper. I recently found out she has cheated on me and have ended the
relationship. She wont leave. What should I do?

Asked on April 4, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You did not indicate if your ex has paid rent or any form of rent (i.e. utilities, food, etc.). If she has then she is considered to be a tenant. This means that you will have to go through the steps of a formal eviction to get her out.
If she had not paid any rent, then she is not legally a tenant; she instead will be considered to be what some states call a "licensee". This is someone who has been invited to stay on the premises by the lawful owner. Once such permission has been withdrawn, they will still need to be served a notice to vacate. Depending on specific state law, it is typically a 30 day notice. If they fail to vacate within the time stated in the notice, the owner will need to file for an "ejectment" (basically an eviction lawsuit for a non-tenant).
In the meantime, do not take any self-help measures, such as removing her personal possessions or changing the locks. If you do, you could find yourself on the receving end of a lawsuit for unlawful eviction. At this point, you really should consult directly with an attorney in your area who can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.