How can i get my ex husband to sell our house and split the proceeds as ordered by our divorce decree?

We settled our divorce thru mediation and we are to list our house with a realtor, sell it and split the proceeds. My ex husband refuses to do so. What can be done?

Asked on April 4, 2018 under Family Law, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can pursue contempt of court against your ex for failure to comply with the terms of your divorce decree.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause for a hearing on contempt of court.  Call the court clerk to schedule the hearing and include the date, time, and department of the hearing in your Order to Show Cause.  With your Order to Show Cause, also file with the court your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your contempt of court claim, and also file any other documents, items, etc. (if applicable) that provide supporting evidence of your contempt of court claim.  File a proof of service (court form) with your documents. After filing your documents with the court, mail a copy of all those documents to your ex to provide him with notice of the hearing.  Include the proof of service which verifies the date of mailing your court-filed documents to your ex.  Prior to filing your documents with the court, check with the court clerk to be certain you have included all required documents for a contempt of court claim because the documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.