How can I get my bank to not press any charges on my check?

I live in Michigan and my and I have a credit union account in good standing for two years.We were expecting two ach payments to come through my husband wrote me a check from our joint account to pay our mortgage from my account. I got a cashiers check to pay the mortgage well one of the checks cleared and one did not. We contacted the bank and have been making deposits to cover the amount, we have not written any more checks, the bank has sent a letter to my husband threating criminal action. There was no intention to do anything wrong and other checks from our cc acct have cleared.

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Criminal Law, Michigan


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In most cases, the bank is only interested in the money.  You need to pass the heat you're getting from the bank on to whoever's check to you bounced.

I don't know all of the facts of your case, including who it is that you're trying to get a bounced check covered from, or how much is involved. But it's never a bad idea to see if a lawyer can help you with things like this. People who "just can't" pay you right now sometimes "manage to scrape up" the dollars you're owed when an attorney is on their case for you.  One place to find a lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.