How can I get my back alimony from ex-husband?

I got divorced and at the time I awarded permanent alimony and it is administered by the state. My ex-husband has since moved to another stae and I live in in yet another stae as well. He is now 3 months in arrears. I was told that since it is administered by the state I cannot take him to court for contempt. So, what do I do?

Asked on June 2, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can still take him to court for contempt. Speak to the prosecutor's office who handles support payment prosecutions and see what needs to be done. You may need to have the matter transferred to the court in the state in which he currently resides but again, start with the originating court prosecutor and go from there. If you need to hire private counsel, that may be your final route.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.