How can I get my address changed and receive the fine?

I have been caught shoplifting while I was living in the dorm and it was just 2 days
ahead of check-out day from the dorm so I didn’t have another address. When
they said that they will send a fine to my address I gave this one, then I figured out
all mails coming to dormitory will be sent back to the senders because we move
out. I have to receive that mail to my new address or it will become a criminal
record. But I can’t reach police to do that. I mailed Boston police but they didn’t
answer. What should I do? I am in Massachusetts.

Asked on May 25, 2016 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You need to send a certified letter to the Boston Police and to the municipal court handling your case advising both of them of your change in address.  When the green card or delivery verification is returned, this will give you evidence that you did attempt to notify everyone of your change in address.  From there, check in with the court regularly until you finalize your fine.  If this still doesn't work, then considering hiring an attorney to help you finish wrapping up the details of your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.