How can I get legal rights to a child that’s not biologically mine but has been with me and his biological father his whole life?

The biological mother comes in and out of his life every few years.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Some states in this country have certain statutes allowing grandparents and other interested non-parents of a child of a child a mechanism to petition the court for visitation rights. Given your desire to see a minor child where you are not the parent, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney in your community to see what your legal options are for the desired visitation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.