How can I get full custody of my child?

I am an unmarried mother who had depression and cutting problems in the past. The father has evidence of my cutting? I’ve been seeing a therapist. Is that enough to be classified as an unfit mother and get my child taken away?

Asked on June 2, 2012 under Family Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It sounds as if you are back on a good path and what you need to do is to make sure that you have a really good plan in place for staying there.  Now, courts like to support both parents having custody of their children but they make the decisions based upon many factors "in the best interest of the child."  If you put the child at risk that works against you. Please speak with an attorney as soon as you can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.