How can I get false rape charges dropped without me getting into trouble?

My boyfriend and I got into a huge fight and then we had sex. I have these really bad panic attacks and I started to panic. I went to the police and filed a police report. He did not do it and he now is in jail facing charges.

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you filed a false report, then you could be subject to criminal liability for the falsity of the report.  However, many DA's offices would rather know the truth about a felony sexual assault than to have an extra misdemeanor false report case.  If the case is already with the DA's office, then you may want to have an attorney (not the one who represents your boyfriend) go with you to set the record strait.  If it's not with the DA's office, have them go with you to the agency who accepted the case. You don't necessarily have to have an attorney to drop a case, and many people never do-- but considering that you could face criminal charges, it's better to be safe than sorry.  If you can't afford one, see if your county has a legal clinic where attorneys volunteer to help people.  This should be a simple process for them to help you with.  Even if you don't get an attorney--still go and talk to the agency or DA's office.  The main thing is to tell someone sooner than later.  Sexual assault allegations are very serious and can remain on someone's record for life, even if there is no conviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.