How can I get divorce if my husband lives overseas and had never been to the US?

I am a US citizen and have not seen or been with many husband in 2 years. We have a daughter together and she and I live in US.

Asked on January 18, 2013 under Family Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The way to initiate the dissolution of your marriage is to file a petition in the county where you reside seeking the end of your marriage. Preferably you have a family law attorney assisting you. Once the paperwork is filed you have your spouse served with the petition nor summons. This can be done personally, by certified mail or by way of publication.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.