how can i get diversion

its m first offence

Asked on April 2, 2017 under Criminal Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You really should try and retain, or at least consult with, an attorney since this is a criminal matter. If that's not possible, and if you do not qualify for a public defender, then you yourself can ask the judge if you are eligible for "diversion. This is a program designed to leave a defendant with a clean criminal history record. The way it works is that you will plead guilty to the charge and the be sentenced to a special probation (usually comminity service, fines, etc.), once successfully completed you plea will be withdrawn and the charges dropped.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.