How can I get copies of my deceased wife’s medical records?

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Malpractice Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

HIPAA violations may no longer apply now that she is deceased but if this is truly concerning medical malpractice, it may not be sufficient for you to show the death certificate to the medical provider and your documentation showing you are the legal representative. You have to be entitled or obtain entitlement to those documents and that may require you to subpoena those records. Document production requests can be quite complicated but generally speaking you will either most likely need an attorney to help you obtain those records or you will need to file a lawsuit as the representative of the estate and through the suit submit the subpoena.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.