How can I drop domestic violence charges against my boyfriend?

Asked on July 16, 2015 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Actually, you can't. Whether or not to drop criminal charges is a decision to be made by the prosecutor, not the victim. Consequently, a case may be prosecuted over a victim's objection and without their assistance as long as there is other evidence to support the charge.

The fact is, prosecutors may be unwilling to drop a case since they do not want offenders to think that that if they can intimidate or otherwise influence a victim so that the charges will just be dropped.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.