how can I get access to my property from neighbor?

My brothers and I own 150 acres, which is bordered on 2 sides by
government property. They will not give us access to our property so
that we may inspect, improve or develop it. Is there any remedy?

Asked on April 16, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You say it is borderd "on 2 sides by government property"--what about the other sides?
If there is *any* other access to the property, you have to use that access; you cannot compel the government to let you cross its land, even if that is more convenient for you.
If there government land completely surrounds your property so it is fully "landlocked," then you could sue the government seeking an "easement"--that is, asking the court, due to necessity, to grant you an access right across the government land. This can be an expensive, complicated suit--you are strongly advised to retain an attorney with experience suing the government to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.