How can I get a subpoena for my ex-wife’s employer to produce her W2’s?

My ex-wife is in prison and our state taxes were never filed for the 3 years we were married. I am trying to get the issue resolved but I cannot do so without her W2’s for those years. Her previous employer will not release them with out either a court order or her written permission. Her permission is not really an option.

Asked on October 5, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Idaho


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have an attorney represent you, the attorney can issue a subpoena for the W2s.  The other alternative for obtaining a subpoena would be to have a judge issue it.  Since you don't have an ongoing case yet in court, having an attorney issue the subpoena would be your best option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.