How can I get a P3 visa ?

I am a jazz singer and would like to live in the US because it is the best place to be for jazz music. I studied jazz in Paris for 3 years and started to work with very good musicians in NYC and would like to keep doing it (I currently have a J1 visa). Is it possible to get a P3 because I want to improve my performance or do I need to have tour dates, contracts, etc?

Asked on June 4, 2012 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A P-3 Visa is an artist visa which allows a person from another country to come to the United States temporarily as part of a culturally unique program in the arts to perform, teach or coach as an artist or entertainer.

In order to qualify for such a visa, form 1-129 needs to be completed by the employer or sponsoring organization of the individual seeking the P-3 Visa and submitted to the INS. The INS then either approves the application or not. I suggest that you consult further with an immigration attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.