How canI get a misdemeanor assault conviction expunged off my record ifI pleaded guilty to it?

It was in self defense. It will be a year in September but my lawyer couldn’t get it dropped. I got offered a $500fine and no probation. I paid the fine and took the misdemeanor on my record only because my lawyer said it wouldn’t affect me, which it did. I’m having trouble getting a job. I’m currently going to school, am I wasting my time now?

Asked on July 23, 2010 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What you need to research is if the particular facts of your situation allow you to be able to expunge your criminal record in Texas.  Expunging a record means that it is "erased" and a background check will not reveal it (although I caution to always do a background check on yourself if your petition to expunge is granted just to be sure).  In Texas expungement is covered under Chapter 55 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.  The Texas Department of Public Safety can help with all of this and I will give you a link here to start your reading and working your way to being rid of this monkey on your back.  Good luck with a new and bright future.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.